Article Titles (Editorial Guide)
The Basic Format
Write article titles in two parts, with a colon in the middle.
- On the left: 2-3 highly relevant words or at least one keyword.
- On the right: 3-6 words that elaborate, focus, or explain the topic.
- Total length: 8 words
Keep the title straightforward and informative.
- Search engines weigh the title more heavily than the extract or article text.
- The first words are weighted more heavily than later words.
- Remember our global audience. Will the title translate well?
No metaphors, wordplay, allusions or alliterations. Sorry.
- Computers just don’t get it (yet) so it can work against search engines.
- People don’t usually search on a clever, metaphorical, or amusing term.
Motivating Users: How to Integrate Persuasion into Design
Better Games: Insights from Eye Tracking